- To unite for their mutual benefit women who are actively employed in various phases of the construction industry.
- To promote cooperation, fellowship and a better understanding among members of the Association.
- To promote education and contribute to the betterment of the construction industry.
- To encourage women to pursue and establish their careers in the construction industry.
- To provide members an awareness of the legislative process and legislation as it relates to the construction industry.
The National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) originally began as Women in Construction of Fort Worth, Texas. Sixteen women working in the construction industry founded in 1953. Knowing that women represented only a small fraction of the construction industry, the founders organized NAWIC to create a support network. Women in Construction of Fort Worth was so successful that it gained its national charter in 1955 and became the National Association of Women in Construction. Today, NAWIC provides its members with opportunities for professional development, education, networking, leadership training, public service and more.
NAWIC’s Code of Professionalism
WHEREAS, the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF WOMEN IN CONSTRUCTION, hereinafter referred to as NAWIC, is an international association dedicated to the advancement of women in the construction industry, and
WHEREAS, integrity, professionalism, respect and courtesy are all fundamental values of NAWIC, and
WHEREAS, NAWIC’s officers, directors, staff and members represent the Association to others within and outside of the construction industry, and
WHEREAS, NAWIC and its members wish to set out in writing the code of professionalism by which they strive to implement their fundamental values in all their actions, for both internal and external activities,
NOW, THEREFORE, the following is adopted as the CODE OF PROFESSIONALISM of the National Association of Women in Construction:
- NAWIC members will act at all times in conformance with the following Association Policy NAWIC is self-governing, non-profit, non-partisan, and non-sectarian.
- NAWIC members will use their best efforts to ensure that the statements made and positions taken fairly represent the view of the entire group on behalf of which they are authorized to speak.
- NAWIC members, when representing members of the Association, will take steps to hear and consider the views of all their constituents and make those members feel that their views are important, even if the position taken is in disagreement with any member’s particular views.
- NAWIC members, when representing the Association, its Committees, Regions, Councils, or Chapters shall give those positions their full support.
- NAWIC members shall treat as confidential any information to which they are given access by virtue of being an officer or director, candidate for office, or director-elect.
- NAWIC members shall conduct themselves professionally in the course of any activities affecting the Association, including campaigning for office.